COVID-19 has changed how businesses operate and how we communicate. We’ve evolved from in-person meetings in conference rooms to teleconferencing via video calls. In fact, 94% of businesses feel that video conferencing improves productivity. Among hordes of options, video chat has emerged as a powerful means of connecting with friends, family, colleagues, and customers in real-time, transcending geographical boundaries. But what makes this smooth interaction possible? The answer lies in video chat APIs (Application Programming Interfaces).
But if you have to invest in a video chat API for your business, how do you make the right choice? What are the features you must consider? Lucky for you, we have the answer!
We have handpicked and listed the top 10 video chat APIs in 2023 so you can accurately assess and make an informed decision for your business. Without further ado, let’s dive in!
What is a Video Chat API?
An API, which stands for Application Programming Interface, is a mediator facilitating smooth communication and data exchange between two software systems. A video chat API is a software interface that enables developers to integrate real-time video communication into applications and websites. It allows users to make video calls, facilitating seamless virtual interactions.
Features of a Good Video Chat API
The number of video chat API options available in the market can be overwhelming. Hence, when evaluating the potential solutions, it's essential to consider the following key features:
- Quality of Service (QoS): A good video chat API should prioritize high-quality video and audio streaming, ensuring clear and reliable communication. Adaptive bitrate control is essential to adapt to varying network conditions, providing a smooth experience for users, regardless of their internet connection.
- Reliability: Opt for an API with a strong track record of reliability. It should have minimal downtime, robust error handling, and redundancy measures in place to ensure uninterrupted calls, even in the face of unexpected issues.
- User Interface (UI) Support: The API should offer UI support, allowing developers to create user-friendly interfaces that match the branding and style of their application. This ensures a seamless and visually consistent user experience.
- Scalability: A good API should effortlessly scale to accommodate a growing user base and handle varying traffic loads. This scalability is crucial for maintaining excellent performance and ensuring that the service remains accessible during peak usage.
- Content Sharing and Recording: Enabling users to share and record content and screens during calls is a valuable feature for collaboration and educational purposes, adding versatility to the video chat experience.
- Customization: Developers should have the freedom to customize the API to match their application's specific requirements. This includes customizing the user interface, incorporating branding elements, and integrating additional features to enhance the user experience.
- Polls: Polling features are essential for engaging participants during calls, particularly in webinars, educational sessions, and decision-making processes. They facilitate real-time data collection, enabling hosts to gather feedback and insights from participants.
- Cross-Platform Compatibility: The API should support multiple platforms, such as web, mobile, and desktop, to reach a wider audience and deliver a consistent user experience across different devices. This inclusivity is crucial for broad accessibility.
- Security: Prioritize an API with robust security features, including end-to-end encryption, access controls, and data protection mechanisms. These security measures are essential for safeguarding sensitive user information and maintaining trust in the service.
- Developer Support: A well-documented API with comprehensive developer resources is vital. This should include documentation, tutorials, and responsive 1:1 customer support. These resources expedite integration and troubleshooting, making it easier for developers to work with the API effectively.
10 Best Video Chat APIs in 2023
So let's evaluate the top 10 video chat APIs like Dyte, Agora, Twilio, Apphitect, Vonage, MirrorFly, GetStream, Sinch, EnableX and CometChat.
In the sections now, we'll dig deeper into their features, advantages, disadvantages and pricing of each of these video chat APIs platforms:
- Mirror Fly
Dyte Video Chat APIs
Dyte provides live video API that helps developers add real-time communications to their apps and platforms. Its low code approach and user-friendly documentation allows users to go live with fewer lines of code. Dyte offers a real-time video and voice solution for integrating high-quality video/voice calls into web, mobile, and desktop applications and websites. Dyte Meeting AI is a new feature that allows teams to automate mundane tasks like noting down MoM and summaries.
Features of Dyte’s video chat APIs
- Offers Call recording
- Includes Live streaming
- Consists of Webinars
- Has Live transcription, translation, Chatting, Polling and Quizzes
- Provides RTMP Streaming
- Users reported excellent 1:1 customer support
- Value for money
- Has excellent audio room support
- Provides Custom UI support
- Requires minimal coding effort
- Offers single-line integration in live transcription and virtual background
- SOC 2, HIPAA, and GDPR compliant.
Pricing for Dyte’s video chat APIs
Starts with 10,000 free minutes every month. After that, it is $0.004 per user per minute, with recordings and RTMP-out available at $0.010 and $0.015 per minute, respectively. Reach out to us to understand how we can revamp your video-calling experience.
Agora offers offer medium- level video streaming quality that ranges from 96p to 1080p, optimizing bandwidth usage for visual experiences.
Features of Agora’s Video Chat API
- Provides medium-quality voice and video calls
- Reduces echo and background noise
- Low latency for real-time communication
- Interactive Whiteboard
- Voice and Video Calling
- Cloud Recording
- No option for polls.
- Limited to hosting and participant roles.
- The UI kit is inflexible, and customization is limited.
- Restricted to handling 17 streams and lacks built-in active speaker switching.
- Setting up multiple audio inputs/outputs requires manual setup.
- Auto Reconnect isn't handled automatically; additional code is required.
- Integrating virtual backgrounds, live transcription, and ML middleware requires complex integration.
- A separate SDK is needed for chat functionality.
- Configuring Real-Time Messaging Protocol (RTMP) is complicated.
Pricing for Agora’s video chat API
Agora's pricing varies by the video quality based on the number of participants who use it, and for how long. Here’s a complete breakdown of Agora’s pricing and plans in 2023.
Twilio offers a cloud-based communication platform as a service, enabling users to integrate programmable communication features into their mobile and web applications. Through its platform, Twilio provides APIs that allow you to incorporate voice, video, and messaging capabilities into your software applications.
Features of Twilio Video Chat API
- It has Flexible APIs
- Provides a Global Infrastructure
- Has Built-in intelligence
- Quick and Easy Integrations
- API and SDK Tutorials and Documentation
- Highly Scalable and Reliable
- GDPR and HIPAA-compliant
- It does not auto-reconnect
- UI support is unavailable
- HLS Streaming RTMP Streaming Adaptive Bitrate is not available
- Polls, media player, and break-out rooms are not available
- Composite recording requires additional charges
Pricing for Twilio Video Chat API
Twilio Pricing plans start from $0.0075 per voice minute and go on according to your services. Plans start from $250+ for dedicated customer support, leading to a significant increase in cost.
Checkout how Twilio Video compares with Dyte
Apphitect offers video chats and conference calls that cater their services to enterprises of varied sizes, from SMBs to full-fledged large enterprise solutions.
Features of Apphitect Video Chat APIs
- Has Customizable & White-labeled Solution
- Is Highly Scalable
- It Supports up to 100 interactive video call participants.
- Includes Group Calls, Conference Chats
- It is difficult for beginners to navigate due to the platform.
- Very Slow customer support
- Features like AR and VR integration create complexity in the development process.
Pricing of Apphitect Video Chat API
To understand Apphitect’s pricing, contact their sales team.
Vonage offers services to businesses and consumers. Vonage was founded in 1998 as Min-X and changed its name to Vonage in 2001. It’s a video chat API that allows developers to build custom video experiences on platforms like Android, iOS, and the Web. It’s Built on the WebRTC standards; its data streaming quality is not limited by network issues.
- Allows Encrypted Video Recordings
- Has Embedding Video Chats
- GDPR and HIPAA-compliant
- Allows Video Stream Customization
- Has HLS and RTMP Streaming
- Provides Video Analytics
- It requires high coding effort
- Doesn’t provide UI Support
- The option of Plugins is unavailable
- Doesn’t have Polls, an audio room, or multiple audio support.
- Composite recording costs extra money
Pricing of Vonage Video Chat API
Multiple plans, including mobile, premium, and advanced making it expensive for small-scale businesses. Check out Vonage’s pricing and plans in 2023.
Learn how Vonage Video Chat compares with Dyte
MirrorFly collaborates with SaaS infrastructure providers, which helps to achieve a hassle-free chat solution.
Features Video Chat APIs
- Has free chat SDKs
- Provides a 21-day free voice and video call SDKs
- Includes dedicated cloud servers
- Offers Multi-tenancy support
- It consists of a one-time license cost
- Includes White-label chat solution
- Offers On-premise hosting
- Can be complex and time-consuming, potentially delaying project timelines.
- Documentation lacks detail, making troubleshooting and implementation more challenging.
- Has limitations in customizing the platform to unique business needs.
Pricing of Mirrorfly Video Chat API
Offers both “Pay-as-you-go” & “One-time License cost” pricing plans. You need to reach out to their team to book a demo.
GetStream, also known as Stream, is a live chat solution that can be embedded into mobile and web applications. It can be used to power chat messaging, video, audio, and activity feeds for users across apps. Businesses can use the Stream SDK and API to develop their own chat applications.
GetStream.io is a live chat solution that can be embedded into mobile and web applications. It provides video chat APIs and SDKs that allow users to experience face-to-face interactions.
Features of GetStream Video Chat APIs
- Offers 1-to-1 Video Chats and Group Calls
- Provides Live Broadcasting
- It has the option of File Sharing
- Allows Call Recording
- Includes Video Conferencing
- Offers Screen Sharing
- Documentation Challenges: it might not always cover advanced scenarios, making troubleshooting and integration complex.
- Advanced customization might be challenging and time-consuming.
- Delay in customer support response and action.
Pricing of Getstream’s Video Chat API
The Startup plan costs $499 per month for up to 10,000 MAU. The price increases as your app's MAU scales.
Sinch is a cloud communications platform that helps businesses connect with customers through messaging, voice, and video. Sinch lets developers build a video chat experience for end users with their video chat APIs. Sinch provides effective integration and documentation to get started with its products.
Features Video Chat APIs
- It has a Hybrid Platform Support
- Offers Enterprise-grade Reliability
- Allows Custom Video Filters and Masks
- Offers Free trial for new customers
- Provides Cross-platform compatibility
- Some users have noted delays in receiving timely support assistance.
- Integrating services might require technical expertise, posing a challenge for less experienced developers.
Pricing of Sinch Video Chat API
Sinch Engage offers different pricing plans depending upon the region and company stage.
EnableX is a cloud-based platform that provides real-time communication services for developers and businesses. EnableX has a video chat API and SDK for app developers to build a video chat app. It also helps you build video and voice applications for your customers, employees, and partners.
- Has UI Kits that are customizable
- Allows up to 2000 participants in a video conference call.
- Offers enhanced security standards like E2E and AES-512 mechanisms.
- Provides Cross-platform compatibility
- Has an intuitive API
- Users reported a lack of efficiency, resulting in slower workflows and reduced productivity.
- Slow and laggy response
- Poor Customer Service: Many users reported that the support provided lacks depth or expertise, failing to address complex problems effectively.
- Frequent audio dropouts and Issues
The starting price for EnableX Video Meeting is $4.99 per license per month.
CometChat's APIs allow developers to integrate in-app text messaging into any mobile app and website. Cometchat’s APIs and SDKs simplify video chat integration with its in-depth documentation, demos, and easy-to-understand codes. Also, they are compatible across hybrid platforms for iOS, Web, and Android.
- Provides a 1-to-1 Video Chat and Group Chats
- Offers a Video Conferencing Functionality
- Has Typing and Presence Indicators
- Includes Chat Widgets like drag-and-drop
- Allows White-labeled Message Translation
- Consists of Automated Moderation Tools
- New users might face a steep learning curve due to the platform's intricate features and configurations.
- Scalability challenge when handling a large number of concurrent users
- Lags in real-time communication and slow response.
The Startup plan costs $109 per month for up to 1000 MAU. The price increases as your app's MAU scales. Cometchat’s pricing depends on the number of MAU (monthly active users) your app intends to serve.
|Name of the Platform||Core features||Core Drawbacks||Pricing|
||Starts with 10,000 free minutes every month.|
||Varies by the video quality you wish to feature on your app, the number of participants who use it, and for how long.|
||$0.0075 per voice minute and go on according to your services|
||Contact their sales team|
||Multiple plans including mobile, premium, advanced|
||“Pay-as-you-go” & “One-time License cost” pricing models|
||$499 per month for up to 10,000 MAU.
The price increases as your app's MAU scales
||Depends upon the region and company stage.|
||$4.99 per license per month|
||$109 per month for up to 1000 MAU.
Pricing depends on the number of MAU (monthly active users) your app intends to serve.
Video chat APIs serve uninterrupted, immersive communication experiences. Their significance extends far beyond mere convenience, as they empower businesses, developers, and individuals to bridge gaps, enhance collaboration, and build relationships in ways that were once unimaginable.
When selecting a video chat API, it is imperative to consider factors such as reliability, scalability, customization, and security to ensure that your chosen tool can deliver the best possible user experience for your target audience.
Here’s where Dyte takes the win! From a video call app to an async interview platform, you can build it all with Dyte. You can also join our community to learn more innovative ways of integrating video into your product.
Ready to empower your brand with the power of video? Book a demo with us today.